PERSONAL

ADULTING 101: 60-DAY SHOPPING BAN

September 27, 2016

I am not the best at handling my finances wisely. I admittedly am an impulsive buyer and I’ve tried, over and over, to put a stop to it. Now, 7 out of 10 times, I can successfully walk out of a store empty handed. I aim to make it 10 out of 10 except when necessary. At this age, I know I should at least be able to manage my finances well. And I know that I should since I still basically live off of my parents. I actually feel bad about still mooching off of them but I’ll make it worth their while some years after. All I can do now is to stop spending too much and save some from the allowance they give me (I am such a freeloader, ugh).

Last August, I attempted to do a month long shopping ban. I almost succeeded but I gave in and bought a pretty pink coat during the last week. I am that weak. After which, I started to buy things I don’t need, again. Then last week, our house help was organizing my closet and she told me how much clothes I have that I don’t even use — some still has their tags on, others that I thought I’d wear but never did, and most I’ve only ever worn once. She told me how she can’t fit my clothes in my closet anymore, and that maybe I should donate or sell them. I looked around my room and saw how much of the stuff I bought impulsively are now just clutter. So I decided to put myself on a shopping ban, again. But this time for a much longer time, and with a more concrete set of rules.

60-day-shopping-ban-the-rules

Since I still live with my parents, the things I’m restricting myself with are pretty basic. I’m really just making myself used to staying away from luxury and/or unnecessary clutter. I’m heartbroken to ban myself from buying books but I had to do it because I’m reviewing so I wouldn’t get around to reading it anyway, and I still have some unfinished novels on my shelf. The stationery, phone case, accessories, phone apps, and app ad-ons are the most unnecessary things in my life that I kept buying because it’s cute or I was bored — it’s unhealthy and irresponsible, I know — but these things are the easiest for me to stay away from.

I’m not much of a make-up junkie so I’ll only need to replenish my eyebrow pencil and lip balm (that I both only use when I’m going out). I’m now about to run out of my Spot Me Clear skincare regimen from Soul so that’s one thing I’m allowing myself to buy. Part of the exception are the peel-off mask and/or face mask that I use weekly but will only allow myself to by 2-3 packs per week along with the exfoliating pads for the same number.

As for the food and drinks, whenever I find myself in a supermarket I tend to buy junk so I’m hoping to lessen that. I also sometimes tend to spoil myself when it comes to food and it’s something that I also wish to get rid of because I also want to lose weight. I’ll only ever spend on food when I’m out studying — for which I’m only going to spend the daily allowance I used to spend when I was still in college — so it’s basically only going to be for coffee/tea and/or doughnuts. As for when I get invited to go out, I’ll also give myself my college daily allowance for spending with a hundred bucks additional.

The hardest for me to resist would be the clothes, shoes, and bags with clothes and shoes being the most difficult of all. I am not a fashionista but I appreciate good clothes — when it fits my aesthetic, fits my frame well, and makes me feel good about myself, my mind won’t stop bugging me until I get my hands on it. It has gotten me into a lot of trouble with my mom especially when I buy outerwear because she says it’s impractical as it’s basically summer all year long (which, in hindsight, she’s right about).

Looking back, if I had just decided to save my money instead of impulsively buying something, I could have already saved up enough money to fund a week-long trip to South Korea. So, along with my shopping ban is my resolve to let go of the things (specifically clothes and bags) that I don’t use any longer. I set up an Instagram account last year but never really got around to taking it seriously but I will now. You can check it out here and help me get rid of my excess clothes, and give them a new home. 🙂 I plan to use the money I will save and earn from my clothes for the birthday trip I was planning — Palawan! Additional vow: I vow to value experience over material things.

I wish myself good luck, and I’ll be writing about the experience after 60 days (November 25) starting today. May the odds be ever in my favor! 😛 Have you ever placed yourself on a shopping ban? Please give me tips! 😀

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply Andi September 27, 2016 at 5:36 pm

I’ve been through that, actually. And it is really hard when you are an impulsive buyer. I’ve always wanted to buy a GoPro, but my friend always stops me from buying it because he know that I won’t use it faithfully. So ending, I don’t have GoPro, and I can still live without it. LOL. Ang hirap maging impulsive ‘bes’!

• Reply Pia September 28, 2016 at 12:50 am

Sobrang hirap! Hahaha. But it’s good we have people around us to keep us in check whenever we’re about to buy something unnecessary. Lol.

• Reply Andi September 28, 2016 at 12:52 pm

true friends will stop you for good purpose haha. 🙂

• Reply Buffy October 2, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Your answer shows real inignlteelce.

• Reply Wandering Ella September 28, 2016 at 8:02 am

I haven’t placed myself in a shopping ban but I have not “legitly” shopped for myself ever since I had my baby! Hindi pwede mga unnecessary expenses kasi! I honestly miss shopping clothes, shoes, and other stuff for myself! Hehe. Anyway, good luck on your shopping ban! You’ll know the worth of what you decided to do when you reach the 25th of November! 🙂

Kisses!

• Reply Pia September 28, 2016 at 8:47 am

Thanks, Ella! I hope I get to learn better self-restraint. LOL. Treat yourself once in a while, your well-being is important too. <3

• Reply Kai September 30, 2016 at 2:02 pm

I also did mine just last month! It really worked for me though sometimes whenever I crave for a food or books to buy I can’t help but spend it right away. But mostly I could go out in the bookstore or restaurant empty handed.

Kai
    kittyjournal.com

• Reply Pia October 1, 2016 at 5:29 am

Congrats on starting yours, Kai! I know in my heart that there will be times that I will really be tempted, and I’m hoping that after this, I will learn how to not give in to the temptation. HAHA.

• Reply jem October 1, 2016 at 9:27 am

Ugh! I so feel the same, I am also trying to restrict myself on buying tons of stuff that I don’t entirely need. So, everytime I got my day off, I just busy myself on doing some DIY crafts. Not only it helps me take my mind away from the things I want to buy, it also helps me enhance my creativity and also, lessen my spending. You should try it, it is so much fun, especially when you see the end result.

• Reply Pia October 2, 2016 at 4:37 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Jem! I’m mustering up the courage and creativity to start a bullet journal/planner and other DIY/crafts projects. Hopefully, I get to finish at least one. Lol.

• Reply Vikki October 2, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I salute you for having the discipline to follow a self-imposed shopping ban. I just couldn’t do it. 🙁 But I’m all for saving up for trips than material things. Great job!

• Reply Pia October 3, 2016 at 9:08 am

Thanks, Vikki! I’m on my second week and I’m still having a really difficult time. I guess the key here is really thinking about how much more important it is to save up for the trips I want to take. 🙂 Maybe you can try it out for a week, and then keep on going once you get the hang of it. <3

• Reply Sheena Gonzales October 10, 2016 at 11:34 pm

Haha update us how the shopping ban goes!

• Reply Pia October 11, 2016 at 5:02 am

It’s so difficult! Haha! Almost gave in to my impulsive tendencies twice

• Reply Carisse October 11, 2016 at 9:47 am

Hi Pia! Just discovered your blog through your comment on Bea M.’s latest blogpost. So thankful it brought me here. I, too, am a very impulsive buyer sometimes I’d cry to myself if I wasn’t able to get my hands on the item that I want. It’s great to know that I’m not alone in this kind of #girlproblems. 😂 The only difference is you love clothes and shoes while I am into make ups. With this blogpost I am volunteering myself to do a shopping ban as well. We can do this!! 💞

• Reply Pia October 11, 2016 at 10:38 am

Such a struggle, right? about a bomber jacket that I wanted to buy then but didn't and is now sold out everywhere. But I guess that's the universe's way of telling me that I don't need another jacket. HAHA. Yay! Let me know how your shopping ban turns out. <3 We can do this! #girlpower

• Reply Mei October 13, 2016 at 4:35 am

I think it’s okay to treat yourself once in a while, especially on food! 🙂 I never regret when it comes to food haha that’s one lesson my mama told me “don’t regret spending on food”. hahaha
    But if in your case that you have clothes that you even didn’t get to wear, I think that’s serious already. Maybe you could avoid going to the mall for now? Hehe or, just save it for a travel adventure! Experience is better, I agree! 🙂

I never set myself on a shopping ban, because I don’t need a lot anyway. Hehe I’m not into clothes or makeup so I don’t spend a lot on that department. But despite that, I still don’t have a lot on my savings haha

• Reply Pia October 13, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Thank you for the advice, Mei! I might just have to decline mall invites for now because it’s still very tempting. Haha! My mom told me the same thing, that she won’t mind if I spend my money on food. She told me to control it though because she knows how much I hate to exercise yet am still agonizing over my weight gain(s). And when I don’t spend, my savings aren’t improving either — they’re just maintained. Maybe when we’re older we’d get to actually save. 😀