Annually, I make a list of the things I want to get for my birthday. I even go as far as saying that I will buy those for myself if I am not to receive it from anyone. And annually, I disappoint myself. Not that my birthdays weren’t great (they were) but just that I wasn’t able to get something for myself. Not a single thing. So why break a habit of a lifetime? LOL. But hey, this list doesn’t just apply for my birthday. It’s also for Christmas, New Year’s, Valentine’s, Easter, and congrats-you’re-getting-into-a-med-school gift. HAHA.
1. Fujifilm X-A3. For the longest time, I’ve been wanting to have a camera of my own. When I graduated from highschool, I asked my dad for a DSLR but he didn’t want to get me one because he thought I won’t use it seriously. When I was about to graduate from college, I asked him to get me a Fujifilm X-A2 (as I was going to fund my HK trip). But he said no because he thought I’d only use it in Hong Kong (that’s due to him getting me an Instax two years ago that I never got to use more than twice — films are expensive dad!). I honestly thought so too, but I now have ragrets because I need it to keep this blog going. LOL. I hope, hope, and hope that this year will be the year that I get to own a legit camera.
2. Fujifilm Instax Wide 210. I LOVE Fujifilm products (I think I should be one of their brand ambassadors. Maybe that should be my wish?? Fujifilm guys, please). Like I said before, I already have an Instax Mini 8 but it’s only now that I realized that I prefer landscapes more than portraits. If my dad would let me, I’d probably just sell my Instax Mini 8 to buy a Wide 210.
3. Bomber Jacket from Bershka. I’ve been lusting over this since I first saw it at Megamall in June. When I finally decided that I will get it, they ran out of stock. IT SUCKS. I’ve seen a similar one from Forever21 but it’s also out of stock. UGH. I wish they allow deliveries from their online store but they don’t. 🙁
4. My travel plans to push through. Hence, the boarding pass. I am meant to go to Japan with my mom next year and I hope my visa will get approved and that they’d let me stay for two weeks. For my birthday, I’m planning to go to Palawan on my own (already booked a hotel, lol) and I just hope the weather will be cooperative.
5. Sakura. I should have included this in no. 4 but it really has to have a number on its own. No one can really tell for sure when the cherry blossom trees will be in full bloom and for how long. So this year, mommy went to Japan for 10 days to see them bloom but she was too early. This year, we hope we get in just in time to see the pretty pink flowers. Two weeks should be enough, right?
6. To get into my dream med school. After graduating, my plan was supposed be study med soon after. But I changed my game plan and took a gap year. Not that I’m having second thoughts, I just want to be better prepared for what the following four years will have in store for me. And I wanted to make sure that I did all that I could to get into my dream med school. I told myself that I will stop settling because that’s what I did in college and it hasn’t gotten me far. So now, with a better grasp of chemistry (I took up some extra units of organic chemistry this summer), I do hope I get into my first choice.
7. For Filipinos to stop saying “bias” whenever someone has an opinion that’s different from theirs. I am so sick and tired of people calling journalists biased just because they don’t like what they’re seeing or that it makes their idol look bad. Authentic journalism daw. START LEARNING HOW TO TAKE CRITICISM, NOBODY’S PERFECT. I wish most of us would just stop being sore losers, and that everyone would learn how to exchange dialogue properly and only stick to the topic in hand. UGH UGH UGH.
8. A pug. Because why not? They’re cute and chubby and again, cute. Also, I want Chewbacca to have a playmate. Sometimes I feel he’s bored out of his mind because he doesn’t have anyone to play with besides me and his teddy bears.
9. An effective skincare regimen. One that would get rid of my pimples but keep my skin glowing and young. LOL. But seriously, still having the more than occasional breakouts — not as much as when I was still doing my thesis (thanks to Soul Skincare!) but I would really want to just have a pimple (singular!) ONCE a month. Why is this proving to still be difficult.
10. A source of income. I’m giving freelance a try — you know, writing and blogging — because I want to be able to buy the stuff I want without feeling bad about being unemployed and asking my parents to pay for my luxury when it’s not my birthday (i.e. clothes/travel/drunken nights). I’m thinking of applying for jobs related to my course but I’m really hesitant because I had such a bad experience when I did my internship (it really bored me to death) but maybe it depends on the company and the work environment. I really don’t think I’m cut for the corporate life but maybe I’ll give it a try if freelancing wouldn’t be so kind to me.
11. For one of my ideas to come to life. At the top of my mind, right now, I really want to design a planner but I don’t know just yet how I’m going to execute it as I lack the artistic skills to design one on my own. Also, I don’t know how I’m going to market it or sell it. Anyway, yeah, I have a lot of ideas that I can’t execute because I lack that certain something to make it happen. So I hope when I turn a year older I’d figure that out.
12. An iPhone 6s in rose gold. This is just an alternative for when my dad wouldn’t let me buy an X-A3. I don’t even know if I want to wish for the iPhone 7 as it doesn’t have an earphone/headset jack. Why Apple, why?
I know the list is quite materialistic but I think what I would really like is for numbers 6 and 7 to happen more than anything on the list. Like, I don’t really care if I don’t get to have the Instax Wide 210 as long as I get accepted in my dream med school. Anyway, I guess this really isn’t just a birthday wishlist. These are the things that I want to be able to get for myself (thus, number 10). Also, wow, I am getting old and I still don’t know how to adult. Help.