Over and over, we sure have heard people say to treat the world as if it is our own runway — that everyday is a fashion show. And everyday, on Instagram especially, we see girls and guys who do just that. I, for one, has always been drawn to dressing up — from frilly gowns as a young girl to a minimalist-utilitarian now that (as I like to believe) I’ve grown up, I always make sure to look my best when I’m going out. In today’s world, dressing up and turning heads isn’t enough, it has to be remembered. Thus, we turn to social media platforms, with Instagram being the favorite, to document our outfits. Or as millenials lovingly coined it: OOTD (Outfit Of The Day).
One does not just simply take a picture of what she’s wearing. Everything is orchestrated — from the natural light, the pose, and the place. I’m pretty sure that every fashionista can attest to how difficult taking the perfect OOTD can be. It is a struggle but it gets better once you get the hang of it. If you’re just starting out or if you want to brush up your game, allow me to give you some words.
1. Your background should complement your outfit. And it should in a way that it doesn’t steal the focus from your outfit. Look around you, every corner is a possible background but do make sure that it is appropriate for what you’re wearing or that it creates a nice contrast. Take for example this one that I took
I made use of the concrete walls to complement my urban outfit — the rough texture of the wall complements my (somehow) androgynous clothes. And that tiny tree branch that made its way into this shot? A nice punch that breaks that monotonous grayness of the wall and works well with my military green parka.
Also take in mind that when you feel like the place is right, go for it. This one I got my brother to take just because. I like how my lavender and floral hemmed parka is such a great contrast to the hardware store aisle. LOL.
2. Use natural light. As absurd as it may sound, I always make sure to go out when there’s still sufficient amount of daylight if I can help it. Pictures just look good when you’re under the sun. It means you can play around with different filters and/or effects without having to worry whether it’s going to turn out too bright or too dark because it’s going to be easy to adjust.
3. Work your best angle. Yes, it’s not just your selfies that deserve your good angle. If you feel that you look good with you hands on your hips, do it; if you feel you look better if you’re looking away from the camera, do it — it’s your OOTD and you have the say in what looks good.
4. Play with the elements in your outfit. If you’re wearing a skirt twirl for the camera to give it life. If you’re wearing a jacket, hook it on your finger letting it settle on your back (I don’t have the right words to put it, I’m sorry lol). Or maybe you can pretend walk. Play with your outfit and let it play with nature.
5. Go high. If you’re taking the day off to yourself and you don’t have anyone to take your OOTD, you can always take it yourself by angling your phone from above. It may not include you but it gives everyone else a gist of what you wore.
6. Let your friends take pictures of you non-stop. Whenever I ask my friends to take a picture of me, I always tell them to use the burst mode — the one where they press the capture button to take pictures one after the other. This way, I get to do multiple poses and my friend won’t get tired. It can also capture some candid photos of you which to me is something I always go for. It would also mean that your photo is actually candid.
7. Use a good camera. Good lighting won’t do anything if your camera is crappy. Nowadays, it’s a hassle to lug around your dSLR just for outfits photos. Good thing that mobile companies are now upgrading their cameras! Oppo is totally stepping up their game with the Oppo F1s. It comes with a 13MP rear camera and an unbelievable 16MP front camera. I CAN’T BELIEVE IT EITHER. It’s not just that. The Oppo F1s also comes with a selfie panaroma feature that allows you to take selfies with a large group of people with the confidence that no one is going to get left behind. It’s thin, it’s light, and it’s perfect for Instagram worthy OOTD pictures. (For more details of the Oppo F1s, click here.)
8. Make the world your own runway. Be confident. Don’t be shy if people are looking at you while you’re having your OOTD taken, they’d probably double tap it once they get to see it anyway. Dress in an outfit you’re comfortable with and you’ll be sure to produce pictures that you look good in. Strut the streets in an outfit that shows you own it.