FEATURED POSTS PERSONAL

21 AND OVER

December 17, 2016

It has only just sunk in that I am actually a young adult. I am no longer someone who has to depend on her parents for every single thing. I am now expected to be able to run my own errands, to possess a valid government ID, to be able to drive, to know what I want to do in life, to be able to handle my finances well (or at least be financially literate), to be able to go to places on my own, to be able to commute to and from places, and basically just know how to take care of myself. I sound like a huge responsibility and I am quite scared of how I’m ever going to make it on my own should my parents actually allow me to live all by myself. So instead of creating a New Year’s resolution, I will just list down the things that I am over with, and things that I will start doing now that I’m 21. Kind of like an affirmation post for my past 20 things I’m going to do in my 20s post.

I am over shallow relationships and will start maintaining good relationships. I am done with people who refuse to call me out on my bullshit or refuse to be called out on their crappy-ness. I want to start cutting out the pieces that aren’t good for me and instead aim to maintain those that contribute to my well-being. It’s not so much as keeping someone just because they are useful but it’s just me being kind to myself by not allowing my individuality and beliefs to be compromised. I vow to start cultivating relationships that are kind, thoughtful, and honest because I want to be able to connect with people and I want that connection to last for a very long time.

I am over binge eating and will start being conscious of my food intake. I have always been a fastfood slave especially now that I’ve grown older maybe because as a child, my mother had always chosen to serve home cooked meals instead of take-outs. I vow to lessen my junk food intake and in turn, start eating healthily. I’m constantly trying to lose weight and I constantly lose motivation. I know I should put here that I should also start exercising but I can’t always guarantee it because when I’ve finally found a routine that works for me, my schedule messes it up. So I think I’ll start with just eating the right food which means little to no fastfood and junk food. I’m cooking up a fastfood and junk food ban for myself which I will probably blog about in the coming week/s. (RELATED: I Gained Ten Pounds and I’m Going To Do Something About It)

I am over mediocrity and will start to always put my 100% in everything. I’ve actually overcome this with my thesis but that’s it. I constantly find myself slacking and just winging things (even my NMAT!). I may not be the smartest but I know I have what it takes to be one of the best if I put my heart into it. I vow to constantly remind myself that it’s okay to be the student who studies her ass off and reads in advance and asks her professors a ton of clarification questions — it’s okay to be a nerd and an over-achiever.

I am over being scared of traveling alone and will start to go off on my own adventures. I have always wanted to travel alone but I have always chickened out because I get fidgety and overthink the worst case scenarios. I always think that I couldn’t go alone which makes me end up inviting someone to go with me. Don’t get me wrong, I love traveling with my friends — it’s one of the best experiences ever but I also want to experience being on my own. (RELATED: I Kept My Promise: Hong Kong 2016) I’ve actually done it when I went to Batangas but I really want to try to fly off somewhere without anyone I know. So I’m going to start small and go to Puerto Princesa or Cebu, and see how it goes from there.

I am over being an impulsive buyer and will start being more financially responsible. I’m slowly learning how to not give in to my impulse, thanks to my shopping ban. (RELATED: AduIting 101: 60-day Shopping Ban) What I should do now is when I do get to shop for clothes, I vow to buy only the things that make sense or pieces that I will really use on a daily basis. This means not giving in to that cute sweater or that cool booties because I should accept my tropical county fate. Lol. But seriously though, now that I can somehow control my impulsive tendencies, I should now learn how to properly save up my money. I’m also looking into investments so that the money I would save would at least grow. (So if you guys know any good investments for a 21 year old, please let me know!)

I am 21 and I am over things that contribute nothing to my well-being. I vow to be more kind to myself and forgive myself for things that are beyond my control. I want to be able to better appreciate everything that I have and learn how to live a simple lifestyle. I want to achieve contentment knowing that I have everything that I’m ever going to need and that I am where I want to be or that I am on the right path leading me there. I will keep improving myself to become the person that I’ve always wanted to be.

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

• Reply Teresa Graham December 18, 2016 at 5:48 am

Hi Pia, it’s nice to meet with you. I like your overall think process. Be yourself is very beneficial to become successful in life. No matter whatever happens don’t give up your dreams.

• Reply Pia December 18, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Thank you, Teresa! 🙂

• Reply Nikaia December 18, 2016 at 6:54 am

This is a nice post! So much better than new years resolution posts. I love it so much! 🙂

• Reply Pia December 18, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Glad you liked it, Nikaia! <3

• Reply Mariz December 18, 2016 at 7:58 am

This inspires me to go great lengths and be better. 💙 I’m turning twenty-one by January next year, and it’s only a few weeks away, but I don’t think I’m ready to act as a young aduItjust yet. I’m still too dependent with my mom, basically can’t live without her. But by 2017, I will try to go a little out of my comfort zone, try new things and try to develop my whole being. I’ve been a little lost about myself this 2016, more like I’m still on the process of knowing who I really am and figuring out what things I really enjoy doing, which is perhaps a neverending process. I’ve been planning to make resolutions for the coming new year, but I have no idea where to start until I stumbled upon this post of yours. Cheers to making ourselves better! 💕

• Reply Pia December 18, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Hi, Mariz! I’m happy this post has inspired you. I felt the same before I turned 21! I was like, “so I have to process my papers on my own now?” and it’s really unsettling because I was so used to having my mom do everything for me. I hope you find what you want, and you get to do things you’re not used to. 🙂 Here’s to a better year and turning a year older! <3

• Reply Alissa December 19, 2016 at 5:45 am

These are some really great insights. 2017 will surely be better for you. This year sure gave you lots of wisdom and life lessons.

Hope I have the courage to travel alone as well. Overthinking sucks sometimes.

• Reply Pia December 19, 2016 at 6:37 am

Thank you, Alissa! <3 Traveling alone is a great experience, I hope you get to try it some time in the future. 🙂

• Reply Bea December 21, 2016 at 10:03 am

I agree with you in everything. Your list is easier said than done and there will be times na you’ll see yourself not doing these things or breaking your vows to yourself. And sometimes you’ll feel sad and guilty. So I want you to remember na it’s OKAY, to be scared, to impulsive buy something or to binge eating. Be easy on yourself too. You’re just 21 after all! 🙂 Go Pia, I know na you can do all these one step at a time.

• Reply Pia December 21, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Hi, Bea! Those are such kind words. Thank you so much for the encouragement, I really really really appreciate it. Thank you. 🙂 <3

• Reply Gillian December 22, 2016 at 11:55 pm

love this post! i found it very inspiring <3 btw out of curiosity will you be changing your header to twenty one and lost? haha

• Reply Pia December 23, 2016 at 10:28 am

Thanks, Gillian! Not yet! Haha. I think I’m gonna keep it, as a reminder that I got lost when I was twenty but then found my way out of the woods. 🙂

• Reply Dianne Kathreen December 28, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Don’t stress yourself too much about being adult, Pia! Being 21 or getting older does not mean that we need to know everything; that we have to lay down our plans, figure out stuff. Being 21 is fun – you will be able to learn and discover more things about you. Enjoy it because we will surely miss this season in our life once we grow older! 🙂

• Reply Pia December 29, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Thanks for the advice, Kathreen! This means a lot. <3

• Reply Cae January 1, 2017 at 5:48 am

I’ve had problems with being an impulsive buyer and over spending over the years. I’ve recently been able to control myself and invest on pieces instead of overspending on things I only think I need. I hope we get to go through with it <3

• Reply Pia January 2, 2017 at 4:41 am